The average American gains 1-2 pounds over the holiday season.
It might not sound like a lot, but if you do that every year, the unwanted pounds will be piling on!
This holiday season, follow a few simple rules to help keep your holiday weight gain at bay:
- Plan Ahead – if you fail to plan, you plan to fail! Have a game plan for how much you will eat and drink at a holiday party. Pick which dessert or drink you’ll want, and stick to the plan to avoid overindulging.
- Bring Your Own Dish – the best way to assure there is something healthy at the party, is to bring your own. Use lower fat condiments and sugar substitutes to cut calories in healthy holiday dishes.
- Make Time to Move – exercise is the other side of the coin when it comes to avoiding holiday weight gain. Plan in 30 minutes per day to keep yourself active.
- Go to Gatherings to Gather: focus on chatting and catching up with friends and family over the holidays. Attend gatherings to do just that: gather – and try not to make food the focus.
- Eat Ahead of Time – just like grocery shopping on an empty stomach is a bad idea, so is attending a holiday party. Have a healthy, light snack before you hit the party to help avoid overeating once you’re there.
For more healthy holiday tips, check out this article: “The One Thing Top Nutrition Experts Do to Stay Healthy During the Holidays.”
Special thanks to Dietetic Intern Jenny Legrand for her contributions to this post.