The holidays mean lots of home cooking. But improper food safety techniques can lead to foodborne illness that will ruin anyone’s holiday!
Here are some simple guidelines for maintaining food safety in your home kitchen this holiday season:
- Use separate cutting boards for raw meat and produce to prevent bacteria from spreading
- Use a food thermometer to make sure dishes are cooked to their proper internal temperatures
- Do not let food sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours
- Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for no more than 3-4 days or the freezer for 3-4 months
- Reheat leftovers to at least 165 degrees F
For more information on keeping your food supply safe, check out AskKaren.gov – the USDA’s online expert for all things food safety.
Special thanks to Dietetic Intern Jenny Legrand for her contributions to this post.